Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Roasted Chickpeas


I make these crunchy roasted chickpeas all the time.  They're one of my most-utilized recipes, in fact.  My kids eat them like popcorn, I put them out as party snacks, and I love using them as "croutons" on top of salads or soups or anything that calls out for a little extra crunch.  Not only are they delicious, but they are also rich in protein, fiber, and minerals.  Plus they only take a few minutes of hands-on time to make.  They're a win-win-win, is what I'm saying.

It's more of a method than a recipe.  All you need is chickpeas, extra-virgin olive oil, and a seasoning blend of your choice.  Here's what you do:

1) Get the chickpeas ready.  If you're using the dried kind, that means soaking them overnight then cooking them for 1-2 hours.  If you're using the canned kind, it just means opening the can then draining the chickpeas and rinsing them well.  (I don't recommend making less than 2 cans at a time-- Trust me, they will all get eaten!)

2) Lay the chickpeas out on a baking sheet or in a Pyrex baking dish.  Drizzle them with olive oil.  Most recipes call for 1-2 tablespoons of oil, but I usually just use about a teaspoon.  That's plenty to get the job done.

3) Sprinkle the chickpeas with whatever seasonings you like.  I normally use salt, pepper, garlic powder, cumin, and oregano.  Or you can just use a seasoning salt blend.  After you've oiled and spiced them, taste one: If it tastes well-seasoned before you cook it, it will taste delicious afterward too.

4)  Roast the chickpeas in a pre-heated 400-degree oven.  It will take 30-45 minutes, so you'll want to reach in with a spatula and give them a stir every ten minutes or so.  You'll know they're done when they are crispy and crunchy, and perhaps some of them will start to split down the seam.


I just ate these for dinner and I already want more.

No comments:

Post a Comment