Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Green Smoothies

This is easily one of my most-requested recipes.  I know a lot of people drink green smoothies, but if you've never tried one, rest assured:  The taste of the spinach is hidden by the taste of the fruit.  It tastes like a fruit smoothie, but has all the added nutritional benefits of being packed full of greens.

My basic recipe:
Put 2 ½ cups of water in your blender.  Add lots and lots of spinach, a couple of handfuls at a time, and let it blend for at least a minute until smooth.  I usually keep adding spinach at least until the blender is full to the 5-cup line.  Add two tablespoons of ground flaxseed.  Add one or two bananas, an apple and a couple of handfuls of frozen fruit.  Blend until it’s creamy.

This recipe is endlessly variable.  You can use any greens you want (kale, lettuces, cabbage, dandelion greens, arugula, etc.), although spinach is the most mild.  You can also use any fresh or frozen fruit you have on hand.  It is a good idea to use something to make it creamy: a banana or two, an avocado, or some coconut milk. 

2 comments:

  1. How do you grind your flaxseed? My new blender is wimpy and not up to the task. Do you use a coffee grinder? Or what?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah, I am horrible at comment moderation. Sorry, Liz. I use a Magic Bullet. You know the ones with the really awesome infomercials? (I am not embarrassed to admit that I have watched the infomercial at least three times all the way through.) Anyway, that's my seed-grinding secret.

    ReplyDelete