Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Brown Rice Salad with Kiwi and Apple

I still don't have a camera.  I probably should have dealt more fully with that issue before launching this blog... but in the interest of not losing steam, I'll just go ahead and post some of my favorite recipes sans photos!  This brown rice salad is one of my favorites in the summertime when I can't stand to eat anything hot.  Also, it is very pretty, although you will just have to take my word for it.

New Zealand-Style Brown Rice Salad with Kiwifruit and Apple
(from The Tropical Vegan Kitchen by Donna Klein)

1 cup brown rice, cooked
2 kiwifruit, peeled and sliced into thin half-rounds
1 Fuji apple, cut into ½-inch cubes
½ cup thinly sliced celery
½ cup chopped red bell pepper
¼ cup chopped walnuts, toasted
2 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

In a large bowl, toss all the ingredients until well combined.  Let stand at room temperature about 15 minutes to allow the flavors to blend, then toss again.  Serve at room temperature.  (You can also refrigerate it and serve it chilled.)

No comments:

Post a Comment